Friday, July 10, 2009

Stars and Stripes



Earlier this week I decided to visit our nation's capital as a side trip from our visit with family in nearby Maryland. As much as I'd like to say that Capital Hill fascinates me. As much as I'd like to say that the history of our nation drew me to it like a moth to a flame. As much as I'd like to say that my love of my country led me to see the red, white, and blue fly high around the Washington Monument...I can't. THIS is the real reason I went to DC:



...to see the original starship Enterprise at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. This sucker is huge! It's 11 ft long from the nacelles to the nose, 32 inches in height, and a shocking 200 lbs in weight (it's made from poplar wood). This is the model they used to film the special effects shots for the original Star Trek series. It's on display with the stand that held it in front of a blue screen. The shots of the ship were later superimposed onto a backdrop of space, and VIOLA we have a spaceship in space...the final frontier.

Anyway, if you want to behold this beautiful piece of history when you're in the DC area, head to the basement of the Air and Space Museum gift shop just off the Mall. Now, I also hear that the Air and Space Museum has other exhibits as well. Um, I don't really know what those could possibly be about, but it might be cool? Just a guess.

Live long and prosper.

No comments: