Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Exposition


Well, I've been out of a job for nearly three weeks now and have sent out numerous resumes with no results. My move to Los Angeles has proved to be as difficult as I knew it would be but hoped it wouldn't.

Ever since my temporary position concluded here in AZ, I've had plenty of time to scour the internet for open job positions -- and believe me, I have. So much so, it seems I'm in the process of developing eye-strain. OK, so the 'Spaced' marathon I had this weekend on Hulu.com might have contributed, but I was ALSO working on my resume during a couple episodes. Don't judge me. Anyway, I've been squinting quite a bit this week and getting headaches which has put a damper on my search. I really should take a day or so off, but you know as soon as I do, the perfect job will be posted and I'll miss it. That's what happens in the sitcoms anyway.


So, the current deal is (for those who want to know) is that I can't find an apartment/room in L.A. because I don't have a job and therefore don't have proof of income which any and ALL landlords are requiring nowadays. Rightfully so. And I can't find a job in L.A. (theoretically) because I'm applying with an AZ mailing address. Who's going to hire a girl in AZ for an entry-level job in a megalopolis full of wannabes?

So, it's a vicious cycle. Not knowing anyone to crash with in L.A. has proven to be a critical disadvantage I can do nothing about. Staying in a hotel room for only 5 days would burn up 1/5th of my hard earned savings and I'm pretty sure it's gonna take a couple of weeks to apply, interview and obtain a job...even with Target (which is starting to look pretty darn good about now, by the way).

Anyway, I have no idea how this is all going to work out, but I do know that it's going to work out. Failure is not an option. I'll probably struggle along the way, but it'll only make me stronger. I have what it takes. I just have to prove it. Prove it to myself and to the hiring managers in the greater Los Angeles area.

No comments: